Wednesday, June 5, 2013

say hello to awkward

I can’t think of moment in my life that I have been asked to talk more because I was being too quite. I’m a talker. This has happened to get me in trouble many times in my life. Including all of the moments where my husband and I are laying in bed and I refuse to quit talking. The poor guy is done listening and talking about 2 hours into his work day with junior highers. Man, do they know how to talk, it’s almost inspiring. But naturally when you are a talker and everyone that knows you knows this, the moment you start to get a little quiet, people know there is something really wrong.

For me it was experiencing something you never thought you would have to deal with to get me super quiet, a miscarriage. That word probably made you a little uncomfortable. It could be maybe because you have had one or because you know nothing about it OR because you grew up in a generation that things like this weren’t talked about. I know that word made me a little uneasy when I was single and dreaming about what my life was going to be like. I mean people say all the time, “I didn’t think that was going to happen to me”. But for me, I was REALLY positive it was never going to happen to me and my future husband. I heard, very rarely, of women who were experiencing a miscarriage and I immediately wanted to change the subject if it was brought up.  It is awkward to talk about a woman experiencing a loss of a child. No one is comfortable with that kind of a loss. So naturally, when you receive the news that you are now among the 30% of all pregnancies end in miscarriage statistic, you are in a state of shock and awkwardness. The shock is pretty self explanatory if you look up at the “I didn’t think it was going to happen to me” statement. The awkwardness is hard to put words to, until you have been there.

My grandparents have this club house that we use to play in ALL the time as a kid. My sister, best friend and I had a “no boys allowed” club. Seriously, that was the name. Thank several hours of reading the babysitters club books for the creativity. We use to hold “meetings” which really consisted of coloring on the walls or planning for attacks that the neighborhood boys may make against us. But it was a club. I knew the members and I was co- president. Having a miscarriage is like being in a super top secret club that you go to meetings with a blindfold on and earplugs in. It’s not a club that you want to be a part of. In fact you run out to your car after the meeting in hopes that no one sees you. So for a talker, in a club like this, bring on the awkwardness.

I have been tossing the idea around for a little while about starting a blog. (By the way the last sentence is probably the number one most over used statements on all opening blog pages.) At first I thought maybe to start one to look back on years from now at our first years of marriage. But I have facebook for that. Then we got pregnant and I thought “ok now I will start one to show our kids later in life”. Then I experienced our first miscarriage and I searched for days to find blogs of other women who were experiencing the same thing. Just an outlet to help me through the place in life I was currently experiencing. I came across several of them. Some were women who had experienced upwards of 6 miscarriages, some not being able to conceive at all, and some were of women who had given up hope of ever having children. I kept feeling like nothing applied to where I was exactly. Then when we experienced our 2nd miscarriage, I posted something on facebook about what we were experiencing. I received mixed reviews on whether or not I should even have said anything. At first I felt guilty for making people feel uncomfortable, and then I just keep getting this feeling that this SHOULDN’T be something that makes us uncomfortable or awkward.

Thus begins my blog. It is not meant in any way to make you uncomfortable or awkward but maybe to help educate you. Hopefully it helps women who have or will experience a miscarriage in their life. So yes, there will be baby things and miscarriage things and things josh and I experience in life from here on out. Hopefully, it helps some of the healing hearts.

11 comments:

  1. Love it Courtney! I will be praying for you as you seek to reach out in this area, and praying that this time you wont have to experience loss ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is important! I am thankful you are willing to share and support others through this! My prayers are with you and Josh! xoxo M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for writing your blog. Though I have not had a miscarriage, reading this has made me appreciate and love my son even more and to truly look at him as a gift. My heart breaks for your losses and I will be praying for a healthy baby this time around. "For those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy." Psalms 126:5

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica, you are such a blessing to say such kind words. One of my favorite things about this blog is that is effects so many people, even ones I don't know. Thank you for the prayers and encouragement :) I pray you continually look at your child as a blessing and gift. All children are. please check out the rest of my posts, I hope they are an encouragement to you!

      Delete
    2. I can't tell you how many times I have gone back and forth on whether or not to post news of my miscarriage on Facebook. Thus far, I have not done so. I figure once it's out there, I can't take it back, so I just haven't put it out there publicly, at least not on Facebook. I have begun an online journal on Baby Center, and I have joined some of their support forums. Thank you for having the courage to put such personal information out in such a public place! I'm sorry for your losses!

      Delete
    3. thank you for your kind words. I pray that you are able to express yourself how ever you feel fit for you. That is the most important thing. praying as you go through a difficult time in life. Please feel free to share this with anyone else that may be hurting as well. I appreciate your openness :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you very much for making this silent grieving painful process so vocal. I just experienced my second miscarriage a few days ago and am on an emotional roller coaster looking for all the answers to all my questions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank You for starting this Blog!! I ve had 4 Miscarriages and 1 Full Term Stillborn Baby!! For me, i feel if i dont talk about my Babies....all of them, all 5 Losses, then i am denying them. I never want to deny my children. My name is Amanda and i have 7 Babies, not just the 2 i have in my Arms and Hug Daily!!! I pray we are all able to have our Rainbows, everyone deserves a rainbow after the Storm!!! Hugs Angel Mommas!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm working my way through your posts so I may have to comment on future ones as well. I'm doing the same thing you did, finding any blog post I can to find stories I can relate to. No one in my life can relate and it is a lonely feeling. I truly can't imagine going through this pain a second time, you must be one tough girl. Looking forward to reading other posts.

    Alexis

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent! My husband and I lossed our first pregnancy at 11 weeks. By this time everyone knew we were expecting so there was no hiding the loss. We went on to loose 3 more babies all in the very public eye. I'm a talker too and my losses didnt stop me! It was amazing all the out pouring of private messages from so many women saying they had or just recently had gone through a loss as well.

    We finally recieved the very much welcomed diagnosis of 3....yes 3 blood clotting issues which would make carrying a child without assistance nearly impossible! I started injectible blood thinners immediately and today we have a gorgeous 14 month old daughter and our second will be arriving in 2 months! I am going to have my handsful but wouldn't change it for the world.

    Hopefully you have an excellent team of drs on your side, it made a world of difference for me. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for sharing your story and the positive news of your child and the one on the way. that is what i need to hear now. just found out I have no heart beat this will make misscargae #2 . I'm 41 so it feels likes im in a time sesitive pressure cooker. take care thank you

    ReplyDelete